Villa Olive Press (Lamari) located in Rouselli hill in Northern Corfu
Old olive press, magnificent location, north Corfu, Greece
This lovely villa is situated 500 feet above sea level in the foothills of Mount Pantokrator. With spectacular views across the landscape and to the sea and Albanian mountains beyond, it enjoys the cool breeze of an elevated position whilst basking in the heat of the mediterranean summer. Lamari is beautifully set into the landscape in a secluded location worlds away from the hustle and bustle of life below, yet conveniently placed a few minutes drive from the small town of Acharavi and beautiful beaches of Agios Spiridon and Kalamaki. Sensitively renovated some years ago to maintain its authentic character, the olive press offers accommodation for 8 with everything needed for a perfect stay on this beautiful island.
The land drops away on three sides and rises up at the back into the scattered rural village of Agios Martinos and the steep incline beyond. In the morning the sun spills over the mountain and floods the large terrace, which surrounds the house. Soft grey flagstones run into a wonderfully inviting infinity pool with steps leading down along one entire side ensuring effortless access into the crystal-clear, ozone-filtered water. On one side of the infinity edge an arresting sculpture stands centrally in the mirror-flat water of a shallow pool, which cascades into the main swimming area. On the other, the pergola provides a shady spot in which to read or simply enjoy the view. There are loungers and very comfortable tip-back sun chairs for sunbathing as well as sun umbrellas for those feeling the heat. As the light fades and sun drops over the island of Erikousa, the sky turns from pink to orange to gold and finally deepest mauve. Watch this magical daily event whilst sitting chest high in the reflective waters of the pool on the built-in sunken seat and sip an ouzo or relax under the large covered terrace on deep-cushioned seating surrounded by bougainvillea, sweet-scented jasmine and plumbago.
In the grounds, the majestic olive trees are interspersed with orange, lemon, fig, apricot and pear. Discreetly placed in the landscape are various pieces of the old press equipment as well as sculptures, which further enhance the feel of the place. The well-established gardens provide a choice of sun or shade with secluded seating amongst tumbling rosemary, sage and thyme. At the back of the property an ancient disused path or ‘monopati’ runs down into the shady valley of unfenced olive groves and makes a wonderful early morning stroll to the stream below. Lined with an old drystone wall it stirs the imagination to thoughts of past generations who have harvested the olives over the centuries. The gardens have been beautifully arranged to provide a wonderful variation in colour, texture and form and even in the hottest summer, the plants thrive and spill over walls and pots in a look of abandoned disarray.
Olive Press villa is ideal for those who want the authentic Greek experience in a wonderful location and who have a love for the more simple lifestyle near the sea in a truly luxurious environment. The villa is a rare find and the perfect place for a reunion of family or friends.
Villa Olive Press (Lamari) – sleeps 6 (+ 2 by prior arrangement)
Attention to well-being is of the utmost importance at Lamari. The beautiful simplicity of the original building has remained intact with big arched, oak, doors and huge cypress beams supporting a low sloping roof with its original byzantine tiles. The old oak-linteled fireplace and the original hand-forged door latches, hinges, locks and keys all make up for a wonderfully rich interior. Inside the half-metre thick walls the spacious rooms are cool and welcoming. Furnished with gabbeh rugs, huge comfortably deep sofas and big old kilim arm chairs, the style created is comfortable and deliberately understated making a beautifully easy environment in which to relax. Built as a home, Lamari is lived in year round and as a result has all the comforts one would expect to find in a well-established household. Anything from binoculars to board games or from wildflower reference books to DVDs is available; there is little else one could possibly need.
This comfortable style combines tastefully with the discreet modernity of air-conditioning in the 3 attractive bedrooms, all with en-suite bathrooms and rain-head power showers as well as hand showers. The English sprung-mattresses are extremely comfortable with finest goose-down pillows and crisp cotton sheeting. Each room has its own French doors leading onto the terrace and all windows have insect screens.
The main living room opens at one side into a well-equipped kitchen and flagstones continue through 5 metre sliding doors at the same level outside into a covered dining terrace with double BBQ. Sweet-scented jasmine trails around the beams of the pergola and fills the evening air with perfume. This entertaining area has the most spectacular views out to sea to the sunset and the islands of Erikousa and Mithraki. Candles flickering in the moonlight give a majestic light to good wine and company, creating a truly magical experience.
On the mezzanine overlooking the sitting room is a pleasant sitting area with sofa, chairs, table, Sky satellite TV and a DVD player with numerous DVDs. It makes an ideal space for teenagers or youngsters needing downtime in the cool or for guests wanting privacy, a siesta or quiet reading get-away.
Wi-Fi internet can be accessed from all areas of the house and terrace and a Sonos system provides internet radio, a connection for an iPod, iPhone or iPad and a large selection of music, which can be played inside and out.
Accommodation – Ground Floor
• Bedroom 1 – super-king bed, en-suite bathroom with bath, rain-head and hand shower, twin basins and WC.
• Bedroom 2 – two single beds (can be made into a large double), en-suite shower room with rain-head and hand shower, basin and WC.
• Bedroom 3 – super-king bed, en-suite shower room with rain-head and hand shower, basin and WC.
• Kitchen – double sink with triflow tap with filter, fridge/freezer with ice maker and filtered water dispenser, two-drawer top-loading dishwasher, gas hob, double electric oven, Dualit toaster, food blender, Krups Espresso Machine etc.
• Sitting/Dining room – entered on the east side through two large, arched, oak doors revealing double-height space with vaulted ceiling, fire place, a combination of large comfortable sofas, single chairs and a large dining space with table which leads on to the terrace through five metre sliding patio door.
• Wi-Fi – access from all areas of house and terrace plus iPod connection.
• Sonos – worldwide radio access and very large music library of eclectic music.
• Cloakroom – WC and basin.
• Utility room – washing machine, ironing board, electric iron, drying racks and sink.
Accommodation – Second Floor
• Mezzanine overlooking the sitting room with sofa, chairs, work table and flat screen 47″ HD TV/DVD with full movie and sports package.
• 11 x 4.6 metre infinity pool.
• Water feature with sculptures.
• Small pergola with adirondack chairs.
• Large covered terrace 40 sq metres.
• Outdoor dining table and 8 dining chairs.
• Deep-cushioned seating under covered terrace.
• Double BBQ.
• Rustic pine table with 4 chairs.
• Reclining chairs.
• Sun loungers.
• Maid service with linen change twice weekly.
• Breakfast service available – freshly-squeezed orange juice, honey and yoghurt with walnuts, warm croissants, pain au chocolate and full English provided at cost by private arrangement.
• Home-made meals with fresh local products cooked on site by private arrangement.
• Pool maintenance three times weekly – early morning.
• Bath robes.
• Hairdryers in all bathrooms.
• Palmolive Naturals toiletries, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and local olive oil soap.
• Welcome Hamper with wine, beer, ouzo, olives, feta, milk, yoghurt, eggs, butter, fruit and much more.
• Low-key concierge service provided by house manager.
• Olive Press is 50 minutes drive along the coastal road from the airport.
• Car hire can be arranged for you with either delivery to the villa or collection from the airport.
• There are a couple of good local taxi companies which know the villa well and by pre-arrangement will collect you on arrival from the airport and drop you conveniently at the olive press.
• In the summer season frequent charter flights from the UK and other countries operate. Easyjet provides a daily service from all the main airports in the UK and Ryanair flies twice weekly from Stansted and other locations. Olympic and Aegean connect through Athens and daily car ferries sail from the mainland ports of Greece and Italy.
• The property is suitable for some with mobility problems but has not been constructed with this in mind. The living space is on the ground floor with no steps preventing access except through one door. However there are no handrails in the bathrooms.
• The property has some unprotected drops, low walls and there is no barrier around the swimming pool. Therefore it is not recommended for very young children without supervision.
MHTE : 0829K92000407401